google11e810ad1b0f5b1a.html CLAYSON FAMILY: I remember when...

Saturday, December 6, 2008

I remember when...

I remember when… we decorated our house (or tree, or apartment - or whatever else!) for the holidays”.

My mom was THE master of tree decorating. Known for it for miles... well, maybe not miles, but still... anyway... our tree was always a masterpiece. Took forever to decorate. She was fanatical about the wires from the lights not showing... so you had to wind in and out of every branch, tucking here and there to disguise them. I have inherited this problem obsession. No two similar ornaments can hang too closely together, and ALL ornaments need to have equal spacing between them. This is paramount... I mean very very important. Does it take some time to set up the tree? Yes, it does. Now this might be manageable if I didn't find it necessary to have 3 full size trees on the main floor of my house... (which I do), and bear in mind that the mack daddy tree (my pride and joy) is 12 feet tall. Yep. Have I put it up yet...ummm.... no. I have saved the worst for last. It requires many many trips up and down the ladder. But it's worth it. I remember the first time my mom called to tell me that she had a genious idea. She was tired of dealing with the lights every year, and decided to just wire them on... and put the tree away with them. Aha, I thought... BRILLIANT!!! And it was. We were doing this for years before some OTHER genious started marketing pre-lit trees. Oh, to go back in time... we could have made millions.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ah, the hiding of the wires must be in the Code genes...that's my mom to a T! I, too, am very ANAL about my Christmas tree. This year I made the mistake of letting the kids go to town. As I watched the massacre of "my vision" I told Michael I would just leave it as is until Tuesday when all the kids were in school, and fix it! This was Friday...and that poor tree made it a total of 13 minutes before I sent the kids in to watch hockey with dad and I totally re did the tree! Yep...it's perfect now!!

Unknown said...

That's funny... this year I totally let Jordyn and Colton decorate the family tree. As I was working on other things, I could hear Colton telling Jordyn..." no, you can't hang that one there, it's too close to this one... and you can't put that there. It needs to be farther away from the one like it right there..." stuff like that. I was so so proud...